I am an Associate Professor in the School of Computer Science at Central China Normal University. My broad research area is in the Software Engineering.
My research focuses on analyzing the quality of software based on software architecture. More specifically, how to measure software architecture in terms of maintainability? what are the architecture problems which incur high maintenance costs? when and how to fix these problems to reduce maintenance effort?
- 2020 Fall, Software Project Management
- 2020 Fall, Research Methodology of Engineering
- 2019 & 2020 Spring, Software Engineering
- 2019 Spring, Software Testing
- The Study of Techniques for Software Architecture Tracking and Refactoring Based on Continuous Measurement, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 2021-2023
- The Study of Software Architecture Detection and Repair Based on Code Revision Analysis, Hubei Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China, 2020-2022
- The Study of Software Architecture Evolution Based on Historical Dependencies, Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, 2019-2020
- Ran Mo, and Zhen Yin, "Exploring Software Bug-proneness Based on Evolutionary Clique Modeling and Analysis", Information and Software Technology (IST), 2020.
- Ran Mo, Shaozhi Wei, Ting Hu, and Zengyang Li, "Detecting and Modeling Method-level Hotspots in Architecture Design Flaws", International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE 2020).
- Ran Mo, Yuanfang Cai, Rick Kazman, Lu Xiao, and Qiong Feng, "Architecture Anti-patterns: Automatically Detectable Violations of Design Principles", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE), 2019.
- Ran Mo, and Mengya Zhan, "History Coupling Space: A New Model to Represent Evolutionary Relations", Proceedings of 16th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC 2019), 126-133.
- Wuxia Jin, Ting Liu, Yuanfang Cai, Rick Kazman, Ran Mo, Qinghua Zheng, "Service Candidate Identification from Monolithic Systems based on Execution Traces", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE), 2019
- Ran Mo, Will Snipes, Yuanfang Cai, Srini Ramaswamy, Rick Kazman and Martin Naedele. "Experiences Applying Automated Architecture Analysis Tool Suites", The 33rd IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE 2018). Pages 779-789. Montpellier, France, September 3 - 7, 2018. [PDF]
- Ran Mo, Yuanfang Cai, Rick Kazman, and Qiong Feng, "Assessing an Architecture's Ability to Support Feature Evolution", The IEEE/ACM International Conference on Program Comprehension (ICPC 2018). Pages 297-307. Gothenburg, Sweden, May 27 - 28, 2018. [PDF]
- Yuanfang Cai, Lu Xiao, Rick Kazman, Ran Mo, and Qiong Feng, "Design Rule Spaces: A New Model for Representing and Analyzing Software Architecture", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE).
- Qiong Feng, Yuanfang Cai, Rick Kazman, and Ran Mo, "The Birth, Growth, Death and Rejuvenation of Software Maintenance Communities", The 12th ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM 2018). Pages 5:1-5:10. Oulu, Finland, October 11 - 12, 2018.
- Wensheng Wu, Yuanfang Cai, Rick Kazman, Ran Mo, Zhipeng Liu, Rongbiao Chen, Yingan Ge, Weicai Liu, and Junhui Zhang, "Software Architecture Measurement — Experiences from a Multinational Company", The 12th European Conference on Software Architecture (ECSA 2018), Pages 303-319. Madrid, Spain, September 24 – 28, 2018.
- Will Snipes, Sunil L Karlekar, and Ran Mo, "A Case Study of the Effects of Architecture Debt on Software Evolution Effort", The 44th Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA 2018), Pages 400-403.
- Ran Mo, Yuanfang Cai, Rick Kazman, Lu Xiao, and Qiong Feng, "Decoupling Level: A New Metric for Architectural Maintenance Complexity", Proceedings of the 38th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2016). Pages 499-510. Austin, US, May 14 - 22, 2016. [PDF]
- Lu Xiao, Yuanfang Cai, Rick Kazman, Ran Mo, and Qiong Feng, "Identifying and Quantifying Architectural Debts", Proceedings of the 38th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2016). Pages 488-498. Austin, US, May 14 - 22, 2016. [PDF]
- Qiong Feng, Rick Kazman, Yuanfang Cai, Ran Mo and Lu Xiao. "An Architecture-centric Approach to Security Analysis". Proceedings of 13th Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA 2016). Pages 221-230. Venice, Italy, April 5 - 8, 2016. [PDF]
- Rick Kazman, Yuanfang Cai, Ran Mo, Qiong Feng, Lu Xiao, Serge Haziyev, Volodymyr Fedak, and Andriy Shapochka, "A Case Study in Locating the Architectural Roots of Technical Debt". Proceedings of the 37th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2015). Pages 179-188. Florance, Italy, May 16 - 24, 2015. [PDF]
- Ran Mo, Yuanfang Cai, Rick Kazman, Lu Xiao, "Hotspot Patterns: The Formal Definition and Automatic Detection of Architecture Smells", Proceedings of 12th Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA 2015). Pages 51-60. Montreal, Canada, May 4 - 7, 2015. [PDF]
- Ran Mo, Joshua Garcia, Yuanfang Cai, Nenad Medvidovic. "Mapping architectural decay instances to dependency models", The 4th International Workshop on Managing Technical Debt (MTD 2013) . Pages 39-46. San Francisco, USA, 2013. [PDF]
- Metric for Architectural Maintenance Complexity and Identifying and Quantifying Architectural Debt. US Provisional Patent Application – PCT/US16/67595 - Filed on 2016-12-19
- Feature Decoupling Level. US Provisional Patent Application – 62/453,568 - Filed on 2017-02-02
- Reviewer for TSE, ASE, JSS, IST journal
- PC for SANER'19 (Workshop on Blockchain Technology and Analysis for Security)
- PC for ICSS'19, ICSS'20